Preamble of the Constitution of India – Important Facts
Definition & Objective of the Preamble of Indian Constitution
We all know that Preamble is the soul of Indian Constitution and it reflects the idealism of our freedom fighters. Preamble is just not declaring our India as a Sovereign Socialist Secular Democratic Republic nation. There lots more. It is true that there is no legal significance of the preamble of the constitution but regarding the social, economic and political justification we’ve to follow it. If we look forward towards our liberty of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship then the preamble conveys the same. Moreover promoting the message of brotherhood and dignity of every citizen alongwith the integration of our mother India, preamble is the first steps to declare the same.
List of Doubts regarding the Preamble of Indian Constitution
Many of you have lots of following queries/doubts/confusion regarding the preamble of Indian Constitution in your mind -
- What the preamble is? What is the source of it?
- What is the purpose of our preamble?
- How can we define our preamble?
- Where did we derive the preamble of the constitution from?
- How were we inspired by the language of it?
- And so on…
Don’t worry… You’ll find below an extensive, well written as well as best quality study material on Preamble of Indian Constitution which is popularly known among all civil service aspirants as the Preamble of Indian Constitution at a glance.
Free Study Material on the Preamble of Indian Constitution
- The concept of Republic was borrowed from France.
- Preamble means the preface or introduction to our Constitution.
- Preamble of the Constitution is also concluded as the ‘key to understanding of the Constitution’.
- Preamble outlines the aims and objective of our Constitution.
- Preamble of Indian Constitution reads as follows –
“WE THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, having solemnly resolved to constitute India into a SOVEREIGN SOCIALIST SECULAR DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC, and to secure to all its citizens:
JUSTICE, social, economic and political.
LIBERTY of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship,
EQUALITY of status and of opportunity; and to promote among them all
FRATERNITY assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and integrity of the Nation;
IN OUR CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY this twenty sixth day of November, 1949 do HEREBY ADOPT ENACT AND GIVE TO OURSELVES THIS CONSTITUTION.”
- Like the Constitution of America, the Preamble to the Constitution of India also begins with the expression, “We the people of India…”
- ‘We the people of India…’ refers that Indian Constitution is not structured by any foreign nation or individual.
- ‘We the people of India…’ signifies that the Constituent Assembly consisting of the representative of the general people of India not only shaped but also enacted and adopted the Indian Constitution.
- Preamble is also referred as the Soul of the Constitution.
- The guiding philosophy of the constitution is generally enshrined in the Preamble.
- The Preamble of the Constitution was amended in the year 1976 according to the recommendation of Saran Singh Committee.
- Preamble amended only once till date.
- The concept of having a preamble in our constitution was borrowed from USA.
- The preamble was amended through the 42nd Constitutional Amendment Act in the year of 1976 during the reign of India Gandhi.
- Preamble of Indian Constitution is primarily based on the Objective Resolution of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Pt. J. L. Nehru proposed to have a preamble to our constitution for the first time.
- The language of our preamble was borrowed from France.
- India was called in our preamble before the amendment (1976) – Sovereign, Democratic, Republic.
- The word republic means – the highest authority of our country is elected.
- India is called in the preamble at present (since 1976’s amendment) – Sovereign Socialist Secular Integrity Democratic Republic.
- The word secular means – there is no specific religion in India.
- The term secular is also refers to ‘impartiality of state towards all religions’.
- Being a secular country, India never promotes any particular religion.
- The three word which were added to our preamble of the constitution in time of its amendment – Socialist, Secular and Integrity.
- The term sovereign refers to supreme which defines India as Supreme power, internally over all people and associations within its jurisdiction and geographical territory and externally India is fully independent regarding her foreign policies.
- The concept of Nationalization is not India’s type if Socialism hence India possesses her own socialist concept which is different from the western type of Socialism.
- India adopted a federal system with a strong center from Canada.
- The term Democratic defines India not follow any type of monarchy or oligarchy to the Public Administration.
- The Preamble of Indian Constitution in very unique of its kind as it significantly convey several priceless ideals i.e. justice, liberty, equality, fraternity.
- Famous English political scientist Sir Ernest Barker talked about our Preamble in his illustrious book, ‘Principles of Social and Political Theory’.
- We can also refer our Preamble as a key note of our Constitution.
- Preamble also accomplishes the wishes and aspirations of the architect of our Constitution.
- India is referred as a Republic country as the head of our nation, the President shall be always elected.
Our Indian Constitution as well as Political Science guide working on this preamble of India Constitution modules under General Studies>Indian Polity>Indian Constitution>Preamble division to produce not only a comprehensive job oriented but also easy to learn and remember best quality study materials on Important Facts of the Preamble of the Indian Constitution for UPSC, State PSC, SSC, IBPS, RRB, CGL and all other Government jobs/services recruitment competitive examinations.
We’re looking for your comments. Please rate this post, share with your friends and associates to grow us more.
Other topics you may like to read
Related Posts You May Like to Read
Tags: Civil Service General Studies, Constitution of India, Free Study Material on Preamble, IAS Constitution, Important Notes on Preamble, MCQ on Preamble, Preamble, Quiz on Preamble, WBCS Constitution